According to the Insurance Information Institute, a motor vehicle is stolen in the United States every 45 seconds. To minimize your risk of an auto theft, consider the following action items:
- Never drive alone in unfamiliar or high-crime areas.
- Be vigilant if involved in a minor collision—the accident may be a ruse to get you out of your vehicle.
- Avoid sitting in your car with doors unlocked or with the windows down.
- Hide or remove any valuable items from your vehicle.
- Park your vehicle in a visible, secure and/or high-traffic area.
- Lock car doors, roll up windows and remove keys from your vehicle when left unattended.
- Install a security system or utilize pre-existing anti-theft devices in your vehicle.