If you enjoy candles, here are some other tips that illuminate ways to use them safely:
- Always blow out candles before leaving the house, going to bed or leaving the room in which a child or pet is present.
- Do not allow children to light candles in their bedrooms unsupervised.
- Never light candles when you are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Use nonflammable, stable candleholders or hurricane glass holders to hold candles and protect open flames.
- Place candles on a stable surface where they cannot be knocked over easily or reached by children and/or pets.
- Place candles away from flammable items such as drapery, sheets, towels and carpeting.
- Do not throw a used-up candle in the trash to extinguish it. Instead, blow it out and then wet the wick before tossing it out.
- Do not place candles on a Christmas tree or on evergreens during the holidays, because they could start the limbs or pines on fire.