It’s never too early or too late to prioritize eating a well-balanced diet or form healthy dietary patterns. A dietary pattern is what humans habitually eat or drink that contributes to overall health. In honor of National Nutrition Month, take some time to learn how you can easily incorporate healthy food choices into your life, no matter your current stage.
Key Components of a Healthy Dietary Pattern
A well-balanced diet includes a variety of foods. It generally involves having an array of colors such as dark, leafy greens, oranges, and tomatoes. A healthy dietary plan usually includes:
- Vegetables of all types—dark green; red and orange; beans, peas, and lentils; starchy; and other vegetables
- Fruits, especially whole fruit
- Grains, at least half of which are whole grain
- Dairy, including fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, and cheese, and/or lactose-free versions and fortified soy beverages and yogurt as alternatives
- Protein foods, including lean meats, poultry, and eggs; seafood; beans, peas, and lentils; and nuts, seeds, and soy products
- Oils, including vegetable oils and oils in food, such as seafood and nuts
While you should include a wide variety of healthy options in your diet, there are options you should limit. Foods you should limit from your dietary plan are:
- Added sugars
- Saturated fat
- Alcoholic beverages
For more information on how to lead a healthy dietary pattern in your life, contact us today.